Background Checks for AME Clergy & Laity
The Doctrine and Discipline of the A.M.E. Church requires training in Sexual Misconduct and Background Checks.
All Ninth Episcopal District clergy and licentiates should use the following link to complete their background checks:
Background checks are required for:
- All candidates applying to the Board of Examiners for itinerant or local orders
- All people receiving their first Pastoral assignments
- All people moving from one charge to a new charge
- All persons (clergy and lay) assigned, appointed and/or employed to positions within the AME Church involving the care and supervision of children
- All persons seeking transfer from one Episcopal District to another.
By Discipline, the background checks must include a National Criminal History search and a clearance check through the local child protective service agency.
All background checks for the Ninth (9th) Episcopal District will be done through www.protectmyministry.com, which will include:
- National Criminal & Sex Offender Database Search
- County & Statewide Criminal Records [A record search at the county level will reveal previous arrests and convictions. In general records of an arrest more than seven years old are not reported (the seven-year limit may not apply to criminal convictions, depending on your state).]
- Motor Vehicle Records [Churches check motor vehicle records when positions involve the operation of church vehicles and equipment.]
- Employment Verification
- Education Verification [This is done to verify degrees and certifications listed on resumes or applications to include name, address, dates of attendance and degrees earned]